About Our City

HISTORY OF GREENFIELD

On December 20, 1839, Milwaukee County was divided into townships, and the Town of Kinnickinnic was formed.  Our name was officially changed to Greenfield in 1841.  Chosen not only for the vast green fields in the township, but also because many of the original settlers were from New England.  It was named after Greenfield, Massachusetts.

Originally the town encompassed 36 square miles with a population of 400 people.   The area was bounded on the north at Greenfield Avenue, on the south at College Avenue, on the east at 27th Street, and on the west at 124th Street.  This area remained fixed until just after the turn of the century when portions were annexed to West Allis and West Milwaukee.  In 1952, Greendale and Hales Corners were incorporated.  When Milwaukee began annexing portions of our town in 1957, Greenfield incorporated.   Greenfield became the largest community to incorporate in the county at that time.

Greenfield’s fire department was created in 1960 with seven full-time employees.   The police department was established in 1962 with one police chief and six officers.  The original city hall was built in 1935 and replaced with our present city hall in 1990.


GREENFIELD TODAY

Greenfield has grown in population since 1839, but has been reduced in land size. We are one-third our original land size, but our population has increased 800%.  Today the city encompasses 11.7 square miles, with boundaries so irregular that it is difficult at times to define exactly where we are located.  As of 2004, the population is 36,059.

Greenfield now has two fire stations with approximately 51 firefighters.  The police department has increased to 55 police officers and 26 auxiliary positions.  We have five aldermanic districts and a full-time mayor.   Our boundaries include three school districts:  Greenfield, West Allis/West Milwaukee, and Whitnall; eight city parks:  Konkel, Dan Jansen, Honey Bear, Haker, Creekwood Park, Brookside-Meadow Drive, Pondview, and Wildcat Creek Nature Corridor; and five county parks:   Armour, Barnard, Zablocki, Kulwicki, and Root River Parkway.